Saturday, October 23, 2010

Putting the Old Painting to Rest

This is the whole old oil painting I did when I was a kid. You can see where the paint is chipping away. I plan to pack this up and put it up in the attic where I'm sure is will sustain more damage. But before I do I want to learn some things about myself by reviewing my past style of painting.

I remember doing this painting.I would come home every night after an evening of hanging out with my friends, and sit and paint until I was tired enough to go to sleep. I had a much better work habit back then then I do now. In fact I was obsessive. But I had very little other responsibilities as well.

I spent a lot of time looking at art. I made regular trips to the Philadelphia Art Museum and also took out every book our small town library had on art. I can see the influence of  Henri Rousseau in this painting (partly because I remember discovering him at this time) in the figure. I also recognize my present day fascination with clouds, trees and plant life. The only image absent is a rock. But I do know my obsession with rocks was in full gear back then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment