Monday, October 25, 2010

Day One: Practicing Artist and Non-Practicing Artist

I have been an artist all of my life. As I look at all the work around me, (and I mean, all around me. We just shut down my studio so I am in the process of organizing everything and integrating it into our home) I realize I have been creating art all of my life, although it been in fits and starts and many fizzle outs.

I have used every excuse in the book:

  1. I don't have time. I'm a single mother raising two kids (they're grown and gone now)
  2. I don't have a place to work.
  3. I don't have enough light.
  4. I can't work at night.
  5. I work full time. I have to wait till I can retire.
These are  the excuses just off the top of my head. 

Someday, some day some day. But as I get older I'm getting scared to think in terms of someday.

Recently, I've been in getting ready and planning mode. I read a lot about art, artists, art marketing, how to make it, how to survive, etc. etc. etc. All in the name of preparing for some day.  

Well today is some day. Beginning today, I will commit time. Starting with 6 hours a week, I will commit 2 hours Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings to making some kind of art. I am going to create an art practice habit. I just read, it takes 66 days to create a change in the brain called a habit. I will begin today, day one, to committing to 66  days. Wish me luck and courage.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you loud and clear - I am like a rabbit in the headlights and I agree that that COMMITTMENT must be made. I am miserable when not creating but I am stuck = just realised you posted this 2 years ago - how are you getting on? I wish you courage and all the luck in the world. Maryanne

    ReplyDelete